Thursday 24 March 2011

Rugged Femininity

About a month ago I took out the book Chic Sweats by Carmen Webber and Carmia Marshall of Sistahs of Harlem. I am an avid reader of Bust Magazine which is where I first learned of the Sistahs, and how I became inspired to make upcylced clothing. In the book Chic Sweats there is this super cute dress that I had to make, and I decided to make a mini version. Instead of sweat material I decided to use a boys flannel shirt. I am happy with the results.

I couldn't decide which side should be the front of the dress. At first I planned on having the front of the shirt be the front of the dress, and planned on adding ruffles.

In the end I decided to go with the back of the shirt for the front of the dress, and made a cute little yellow rosette to add femininity.

The dress is not same as it is in the book, but I am happy with the results

Because my silk screen kit arrived just after I made this dress, I decided to add a butterfly. This was the beginning of my butterfly craze!

It's distressed to add to the ruggedness of the flannel.

My sister in-law offered her friends daughter for a photo shoot, so I sent the dress over and these are the photos she sent.

Cute! I love how whimsical she looks!

I made a matching hair clip to go with the dress.

She looks shocked to be having her picture taken. Adorable!
Thanks for being in the photo shoot little darling and I hope you love your new dress!

So this will be my third entry for the Lil Blue Boo/Dharma Trading Co Design Challenge. I feel a tad over enthusiastic about this challenge, and wonder if there are others that are sending in as many entries? It's just so fun, and it's helping me step outside my normal creative tendencies!

Thanks Lil Blue Boo! You are an inspiration!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...