Friday 13 May 2011

Fit Friday-Setting Attainable Goals

I actually haven't started on the fitness part of my new fit body goal, but I'm thinking about it, and that's got to be worth something.....right?

So as I procrastinate, I wanted to share my ideas on setting goals for getting healthy and fit. There are those in the world that can jump into working out 6-7 days a week and change their eating habits over night, and there are those who need to take it slow. If you are someone that needs to take it slow, recognize and accept that. That is the first step to successfully changing your habits.

I like to set attainable goals for myself so I can succeed. Like maybe you have never worked out a day in your life, or it's been several years. It might not be realistic to decide you are going to go hard for 6 days a week. Maybe adding more activity a couple days a week is more your pace. Weather it's walking, joining a fitness class, yoga, going for a run, swim, bike ride, or blasting the music and dancing like nobody's watching:) I believe it's most important to be enjoying yourself. If you aren't enjoying what you are doing, you're not going to want to stick with it.

They look like they are having fun

not so much

It's the same for food. Don't decide you are all of a sudden going to start eating steamed kale with quinoa for breakfast, if you are used to eating a less healthy meal. Take it slow and gradual. Add a salad or veggies to your meals, and slowly start replacing unhealthy foods with more healthy selections. Be creative! I think that is most important. Search the web for delicious recipes. I know that I have will power at the grocery store, and can resist junky foods while shopping, but succumb to my junk cravings if I have junk in the house, so I don't buy junk. Maybe grocery shop on a full stomach, and have a list. We make a list of meals that we are going to eat during the week and we stick to it.

Colourful an appetizing





For me, I know I need to have a class or a routine. Two months ago I finished the Insanity workouts. I was able to commit to the 6 days a week workout because it was all laid out for me. All I had to do was put the DVD in and power my way through the workouts as best I could. Seriously! It was the best workout of my life! I didn't lose weight, unless you count the whopping 2 pounds, which for your info is like 1 pound a month!!! But my body was firm and toned, and I felt strong as well as energetic. Why don't I just do the workouts again you ask, because I just can't seem to get motivated. I want to, and everyday tell myself tomorrow I will start, but tomorrow just doesn't seem to come. Which is why I started Fit Fridays. I'm hoping someone will join me and help motivate me. No pressure though:)

This is how I feel about fitting exercise into my life right now

I have been studying health and diet for over 10 years, and have slowly changed my eating habits over the years. Testing different diets to find what works best for my body. The way that our family lives our lives is based on the idea that we are not all made from the same mould. We are all individuals and have different needs. What works for one person may not work for you. I know that grains don't work well for my body, and I should avoid them, but I'm also human, so it's not always possible. I love rice, and corn. I can do without the other grains, but it's too hard for me to completely eliminate all grains. I did for one month a couple of years ago, and I felt fantastic. My body went to it's perfect weight within 10 days, and I had energy and felt the best I have ever felt. For some reason that is not enough to motivate me, so I am making small steps to work towards the goal of eating less grains. Like I can avoid them during the day, but at dinner when the rest of my family is having rice or rice pasta, I partake as well.

Have you seen "What About Bob"? It's all about "baby steps":)

What are your goals, and how do plan on attaining them so you can live a healthier life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...